Saturday, March 19, 2005

Breaking News, But Still to be Verified

I've learned that the county extension agent is facilitating the creation of a Saturday morning farmers market to be held in the parking lot of Sam's restaurant on Charlestown Road.

I'll be calling Roy Ballard and Develop New Albany and maybe a few others on Monday morning to find out why? One word is that the downtown farmer's market is a "flop," so there's a need for a new, competing one.

I don't know about you, but this runs counter to EVERYTHING we discussed at the symposium about reinforcing the sense of downtown as a community center. The farmers market needs reinforcement, not competition. We need to draw folks to the city center to see its beauties and benefits, not encourage even more sprawl to the exurbs.

I understand the chef at Sam's is driving this boat, saying all the fine folks out to the north need a convenient place to shop for truck goods. I wonder if Sam's is zoned for such?

This is pretty well along since reservations are being taken for vendors, but it runs counter to much we've discussed about making the city's farmers market a more vital and inclusive place.

I don't think it's a flop. In fact, I wish it were open more and with more vendors. But having the county/state creating and supporting a competing venue to divert traffic seems to me a foolish idea.

I invite knowledgeable comment or ignorant speculation, but be alerted.

1 Comments:

Blogger The New Albanian said...

Randy, I awoke to a "rantful" state of consciousness and have given my thoughts on the farmers' market here:

http://cityofnewalbany.blogspot.com/2005/03/reform-of-downtown-farmers-market-is.html

Properly organized, the downtown farmers' market can overwhelm the exurbian competition!

Sunday, March 20, 2005 12:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home