Thursday, February 10, 2005

A little process "cheese"

Let's pace ourselves, folks. We all have an agenda. For some of us, it's a personal thing. For others, it's already become election season.

Today, I want to open a thread to create discussion on the propriety of bloggers remaining anonymous. Anonymous comment on government has a rich and glorious heritage, but reasonable people can disagree about whether or not an anonymous comment should be given the same weight as one by a clearly identified poster.

We're committed to transparency here in our own public affairs postings. I'll keep my powder dry and see what you folks have to say...but here's a hint to which way I lean: Feel free to post an anonymous comment on this one.

3 Comments:

Blogger The New Albanian said...

I abhor anonymity when it applies to me. NA Confidential may be a pen name or sorts, but there is no effort to hide behind it, a keyboard, the Maginot Line or any other wall, real or imagined. My views are mine, inseparable from me.

That said, there is a case to be made for anonymity, but not without certain exclusions.

To me, one person posting behind multiple facades is reprehensible.

Likewise, the deployment of anonymity to veil the identity of a non-constructive, flame-throwing, attack dog mentality is disgusting, but must be tolerated.

Exceptions do prove the rule. There are cases when a person in a sensitive position must utilize anonymity for protection with respect to his or her place. This is rare, but understood in context.

Anonymity? Generally, I'm against it.

Thursday, February 10, 2005 10:50:00 AM  
Blogger edward parish said...

My name is Edward Parish.
I own a home and live in New Albany.
I work for CINergy/PSI out of the Clarksville Office.
I hide from nothing.
I loathe anonymity on these blogs.
I admire what is being done on this site & others.
I love solidarity.
Thank You

Thursday, February 10, 2005 2:26:00 PM  
Blogger Jeff Gillenwater said...

Jeff Gillenwater, employed at IUS.

I think honesty, both in word and intent, is the trump card.

Regardless of whether or not identity is known, agendas should be transparent.

Got a beef with a public official? Fine. Say so, explain why, and make a suggestion to positively affect the situation.

Are you a candidate? The same applies.

Attempts to deceive by posting under numerous usernames and passionate yet ultimately irrational partisan attacks are counterproductive and just plain childish.

Is that how anyone wants their agenda to be represented?

Monday, February 14, 2005 5:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home